Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Numbers Game

So, I've been doing lots of research about the HOT truck.  

There are numbers everywhere and each one tells a little part of the story.  Casting numbers are on the engine.  I thought the last four numbers meant that it was made in 1968, but that's not the case.


Stamped numbers give the manufactured date.


And trim/body style numbers tell how the truck left the factory.


I won't bother you with all the details, but here's what I've found.  This is the original engine.  I believe it has been rebuilt at least once because it no longer has it's Chevy orange color, but I did find some traces here and there. The engine was made on the 4th of June 1963.  When I told Lori that she said, "Hey, that's about when you were made!"  OK, ew!  I don't want to think about that, but she is right.  I was probably made in late July or August 1963 to show up in April 1964, but I digress.  The engine is a 230 cubic inch straight six cylinder engine designed for this 1/2 ton pick-up.  It has a three speed Saginaw transmission with a column shifter known as "three on tree". It came from the Baltimore Maryland factory in light blue as the primary color.  It had an Ivory top and accent color.  It also sported a Fawn interior.  I don't make this stuff up!  Bottom line, it's been painted, rebuilt, and reupholstered, but it's all still here and that's way cool to me.  So, will I repaint it in light blue??  Nah, I'm thinkin' red, anybody shocked?  Now it's time to tear into that engine. 



1 comment:

  1. Hello Dennis. Roy told me about your truck and blog. I have worked on a lot of those old trucks. I dont know if you know this bur you can take a front suspension from a 71-85 and it will bolt right up. Also a later model Camaro 5 speed will bolt up to your 6 cyl. Look me up on Facebook Wayne Woods. Im friends with Roy. Currently building my first vw.

    ReplyDelete