Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pistol Pontifications


If my dad is a pistol, does that make me a son of a gun?  Hmmm.  Makes you think, huh!  Well, I encountered another detour while working on the old truck.  A pistol found its way to me that needed some love.  This is a Browning Buckmark semi-auto .22 pistol.  This poor little thing didn't work at all and looked like a train wreck.  Someone had actually tried to refinish it with paint from rattle cans.  Isn't that crazy?  So, I decided to refinish it with, um...  Well, a rattle can, but this is different.   I used a product called Duracoat.  It is a two part finish in an aerosol can.  It's cool, when you are ready to spray you simply punch a button on the bottom of the can and the hardener is released inside.  Then, just shake it for two minutes and spray away.  The resulting finish is as hard as Chinese math!  


Step one was to completely disassemble, strip everything off and use the blast cabinet to take all the finish off. I soda blasted all of the individual pieces. As I disassembled everything, I noticed a few internal pieces that needed to be replaced so I ordered them online.  I wanted to be ready when it was time to reassemble everything.


Then, I sprayed each part with WWII Olive Drab Green.  Last week, I had a friend who drives a Prius suggest that my "Huge Truck" wasn't earth friendly and that I should be more "Green" minded.  So, this is my first attempt to be green!  Right?  Starts with the guns....


I sprayed the screws individually.  Notice them in the cardboard.


In the end, it turned out great.  I took it out to the range and rattled off a magazine of .22 ammo and everything fed perfectly. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment