Saturday, January 1, 2011

Question: Is it a wood boat or a fiberglass boat? Answer: Yes

Random thought:  Woodpecker lips are harder than Chinese arithmetic.  No, it has absolutely nothing to do with this post... 

Well, the wood working is just about done, but the fiberglassing is only just beginning.   Lori and I had to drive to Washington NC the other day to get more resin, hardener and filler.  This was almost $200!  What?  This stuff works great, but it's crazy expensive. 
So, I taped the seams on the inside.  Again, the green fabric is peel ply, so it comes off when everything dries.

Man fabric is rough on rotary cutter blades!


Now, I need to glass the entire outside of the project.  I had to flip it upside down again.
Next, I laid the fabric on the bottom panel to cut it to size.  I ended up cutting it down so that it had about 6 inches of overhang on all sides.
Then, I used a paint roller to spread epoxy resin to the bottom panel.

I laid the fabric right into the wet epoxy and then rolled on another coat on top.

Here's the result.

I was going to lay the side glass at the same time, but the bottom panel kept moving every time I touched it. So, I decided to let the bottom dry and then add the sides tomorrow.

Now, I know that Christmas is over, but if anyone is thinking of getting me a belated Christmas present, I have an idea!  Available at West Marine:~)

1 comment:

  1. And at the bargain price of only $2,135. The check is in the mail. I wish!

    ReplyDelete